Slightly smaller but just as lovely. The standard rooms have views over the back of the inn, most with walk in showers and one with a bath. Please note that if you would like to bring a dog please contact them directly to let them know in advance. An additional charge of £10 is applicable and will be added to your final bill.
Terms & Conditions
When you book, you will be taken to the pub's external booking system. Please read their Terms & Conditions.
Cancellation: Once a booking is made, a contract is formed with the pub on their terms and conditions of the pub.
Stay in a Pub's full Terms & Conditions are listed on the website.
Fire Safety & Access Statement
The George and Dragon is a pub and restaurant with twelve bedrooms. The ground floor is all on the same level with wheelchair access through every doorway. The first floor for bedrooms only is accessed by a narrow stone staircase and a wider staircase which acts as the rear fire escape.
• Tel number: 01768 865 381
• Email: email@example.com
• On bus route from Penrith to Shap.
• Easy access by car directly on A6, two miles form Penrith
• Local taxis readily available.
Arrival and car parking facilities
• Car park directly off A6 at bottom end of Clifton.
• Car park level, with good illumination.
Main entrance, reception and ticketing area
• Main entrance wide and same level as car park.
• All surfaces newly paved in either tarmac or level flagstones.
• Reception directly in front through main entrance.
• Main entrance clearly illuminated at night.
Public areas – hall, stairs, landing, corridors etc
• The reception is in front directly upon entering the premisies.
• To the left is the restaurant.
• To the right is the bar.
• Directly in front is the access to the first floor, via the stone staricase.
• The toilets are to the right, just through the bar.
• To the right of the main entrance is an outdoor seating area, on the same level as the rest of the property for summer use only.
Public areas – sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
• There is no lift.
• There are just two floors, the ground floor where the bar and restaurant are and the first floor where accommodation is.
• There are baby changing facilities in the disabled toilets.
• There is a slight change of level in one part of the restaurant only. The lip of this is colour coded black in contrast to the light oak wooden floor.
• The toilets entrances are suitable for wheelchairs and the disabled toilet is the right hand toilet of the three.
• The evacuation point in the event of a fire is the middle of the front car park.
• Dogs are allowed in the bar and in the bedrooms, but not the restaurant.
• Fridges are available upon request for the storage of medicines etc.
George and Dragon
Telephone: 01768 865 381
Contact telephone and email address
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01768865381 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Type Pub B&B
From £100 per room per night
A beautifully restored 18th Century coaching inn with comfortable rooms, serving fresh seasonal produce locally sourced from the owners family estate.
A stylish country inn with a cosy bar, lovely restaurant and eleven comfortable bedrooms ideally located on the edge of the Lake District. An award-winning real foodie destination where much of the produce served is grown by the owners at their sister establishment Askham Hall, part of the family Estate.
What makes the George and Dragon so special is that its source of inspiration, history, passion and produce comes from the owners family Estates, right on its doorstep, where food has been produced for more than 800 years. Their philosophy is that of sustainability, simplicity and taste and whatever they don’t grow or rear themselves at Askham Hall, they ensure, when possible, that the rest of the fresh, seasonal produce used is sourced from local suppliers and farmers within about 20 miles of the pub.
Each bedroom is different – individually designed with furniture and paintings from the Lowther family collection and each is a different size with different views. What they do have in common are comfortable beds, lovely linens and crewel work materials – they all have en-suite bathrooms, some with roll top baths and some with walk in showers.
The room rates listed are based on two people sharing (double or twin). There is a discount on all room rates for single occupancy.
Room rates include breakfast. Please note that the standard rooms and the Superior Plus room are affected by the noise of the fans during operational hours only (7.30 am to 10.30 pm) and please remember this is a busy working inn with a restaurant and bar.
The lovely and light superior rooms are characterful and comfortably sized. Three of them with walk in showers and one with a lovely roll top bath, twins and doubles available. Please note that if you would like to bring a dog please contact them directly to let them know in advance. An additional charge of £10 is applicable and will be added to your final bill.
The family rooms have a double or twin bed and a sofa bed and an extra fold out bed is available for £25. A travel cot is available to use too. If you and your family would like to stay in separate rooms but just next door, the Lonsdale and Lowther room can be booked as a family area – there is an outer door to the corridor.
Additional Directions Information
The George and Dragon in Cumbria is situated on the A6 in the village of Clifton, just five minutes drive from Penrith and junction 40 of the M6.
George and Dragon
If you are travelling north on the M6 come off at junction 39 towards Shap and continue for ten minutes towards Clifton. You can rejoin the M6 at junction 40. It’s a perfect location to break up your journey or make it your destination for a weekend break or a longer holiday to really enjoy the beautiful countryside and endless attractions of Cumbria. They can advise you on where to go and what to see in the area.
47 Results Found
Lowther Castle & Gardens(1.8m away) 01931 712192
Lowther Castle sits at the heart of a 75,000 acre agricultural estate in Cumbria's Lake District National Park, within a 3,000 acre medieval deer park originally laid out by the Lowther family in the 16th and 17th centuries+ Read More
The Ullswater Way(7.7m away) 0845 901 0845
The Ullswater Way is a 20-mile walking route around Ullswater. The route can be walked in either direction and from any starting point. Why not walk the route in shorter sections, using an open top bus or steamer to start your journey!+ Read More