Stirling BridgeStirling Category Historic Sites
Old Stirling Bridge lies downstream from its even older and more famous ancestor – where in 1297 William Wallace’s men defeated the English troops as they attempted to cross. The original bridge stood around 150 meters up river from where this bridge now stands.
Built in the 1500s, the stone bridge was originally designed to aid the defence of the Castle. The structure narrows at the end closest to the castle to trap enemy siege equipment before it crossed the Forth. The bridge has played it’s part in the history of Stirling. In 1571 a gallows was erected on the bridge to hang Archbishop Hamilton. During the Jacobite rebellion in 1745, the Southernmost arch was blown up by general Blackney to prevent the Highlanders from crossing.
The nearby Stirling New Bridge is over 150 years old. It was designed by Robert Stevenson, grandfather of the author of ‘Treasure Island’. Look over the parapet and you might see the shadow of a salmon making its way up the Forth or the flash of a Kingfisher.