Search More

The Antonine Wall

Glasgow Category Historic Sites
The Antonine Wall image

Nearly 2,000 years ago, the Antonine Wall was the north-west frontier of the Roman Empire. Built on the orders of the Emperor Antoninus Pius in the years following AD 140, it ran for 40 Roman miles (60 km) from modern Bo’ness on the Firth of Forth to Old Kilpatrick on the River Clyde.

The Antonine Wall was both a physical barrier and a symbol of the Roman Empire’s power and control. It was never a stone wall, but consisted of a turf rampart fronted by a wide and deep ditch. Forts and fortlets provided accommodation for the troops stationed on the frontier and acted as secure crossing points to control movement north and south.

Behind the rampart, all the forts were liked by a road known as the Military Way. The wall was the most northerly frontier of the empire and, when it was built, was the most complex frontier ever constructed by the Roman army. It was the last of the linear frontiers to be built by the Romans and was only occupied for about a generation before being abandoned in the AD 160s.

Local area map

Get directions
reverse
  • Event Location
  • B&B
  • Self-Catering
  • Caravan Pitches
  • Multiple Accommodation

You may also like

  • Battle of Bannockburn Visitor...

    Stirling

    The new Battle of Bannockburn Experience harnesses 3D technology to bring Scottish history to life. Stand shoulder-to-shoulder with medieval warriors and...

    More information
  • Glasgow Cathedral

    Glasgow

    The first stone built Glasgow Cathedral was dedicated in the presence of King David I in 1136. The present building was consecrated in 1197. Since that same...

    More information
    • Museums & Galleries
    • Historic Sites
  • The Lighthouse

    Glasgow

    The Lighthouse, Scotland’s Centre for Design and Architecture, is a multipurpose visitor centre in the heart of Glasgow city centre.

    More information
    • Museums & Galleries
  • The Glasgow Botanic Gardens

    Glasgow

    Glasgow Botanic Gardens is located in the heart of the city’s West End and is dominated by the recently restored Kibble Palace.

    More information
    • Nature & Wildlife