Carrickfergus CastleCarrickfergus Category Historic Sites
For more than 800 years, Carrickfergus Castle has been an imposing monument on the Northern Ireland landscape whether it is approached by land, sea or air. Originally built in 1177 by John de Courcy it has been altered throughout the centuries and has been in use as a garrisoned property until as late as 1928.
The castle now houses historical and other displays as well as cannons from the 17th Century to the 19th Century. Access to and within the Visitor Centre is DDA compliant but wheelchair access to the rest of the site is limited.
No admission to unaccompanied children under 16.
Last admission to the castle is 30 minutes before closing.
Guided tours available (advance booking recommended).